Chicken Enchiladas With Tomatillo Sauce Recipe - Cooking Index
|1 1/4 lbs||567g / 20oz||Fresh tomatillos|
|1||Jalapeno peppers - or more|
|1||Onion - peeled and finely (small) chopped|
|1||Garlic clove -peeled and minced (medium)|
|1 tablespoon||15ml||Vegetable oil|
|2 cups||474ml||Low-sodium chicken broth|
|2||Chicken breasts-boneless and skinless|
|2 tablespoons||30ml||Minced onion|
|1/3 cup||78ml||Sour cream|
|1/3 cup||78ml||Vegetable oil|
|1 cup||146g / 5.1oz||Sharp cheddar cheese-coarsely grated|
|1/2 cup||73g / 2.6oz||Crumbled asiago cheese|
|- or substitute additional cheddar or jack cheese|
1. TO MAKE THE SAUCE. Husk and wash the tomatillos. Bring a pan of water to the boil, add the tomatillos and jalapeno peppers and time for 10 minutes. Drain and remove the stem ends of the peppers. Put the tomatillos, peppers, onion and garlic in a food processor and process to a coarse puree.
2. In a large pan heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the vegetable puree and simmer 2 minutes. Stir in the broth and salt, simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
3. TO MAKE THE ENCHILADAS. Place the chicken in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring just to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer until cooked through. Remove the chicken from the water and cool slightly. Shred the chicken and set aside.
4. Combine the cooled, shredded chicken with the minced onion, sour cream, and salt. Stir in 1/4 cup of the tomatillo sauce. Set aside.
5. In a 9- to 10-inch frying pan heat the oil over medium-high heat. Put 1 tortilla at a time in th e hot oil and fry about 30 seconds on each side. Drain on paper towels. Cool slightly.
6. Spread a little of the sauce in a 9- by 13-inch baking dish. Spoon some of the filling down the center of each tortilla and roll. Place in the baking dish, it will be a tight fit. Spoon the sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle with the cheddar and asiago cheeses.
7. Bake in a preheated 350F oven 25 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before serving.
Unrated, please add a rating
Submit your rating:Click a star to rate this recipe.