Bhel Puri - 2 Recipe - Cooking Index
|Puffed rice (1 carton Rice Krispies)|
|1||Bhel mix or sev|
|2 cups||474ml||Mashed boiled potatoes|
|(mashed crudely and|
|1/2 cup||73g / 2.6oz||Chopped fresh coriander|
|Leaves - (a.K.A chin|
|3 tablespoons||45ml||Freshly roasted and ground|
|To taste green chiles|
|Freshly ground black pepper|
|To taste tamarind|
|To taste jaggery- (or brown sugar)|
|1 cup||62g / 2.2oz||Chopped onions.|
1. First boil the potatoes. Mash them and salt them, add pepper to taste. Add some coriander leaves too.
2. Roast the cumin and grind it.
3. Dissolve about 4 tbsp. of Tamarind concentrate in 1 cup of hot water, and let it simmer to thicken gradually. Dissolve the jaggery (or sugar) until the sauce becomes tart and slightly sweet. (You may add some salt and ground red paprika, if you want to). The sauce should be of a consistency slightly thinner than maple syrup. Pour into a serving container (like a creamer). Mix the puffed rice and sev/bhel mix in a large bowl.
4. On your plate, serve yourself the rice-bhel mixture, add the potatoes, then the onions, chiles, dust the cumin powder over it. Then pour the sauce. Top with the coriander garnish. (Add salt/pepper to taste).
5. Mix the goop in your plate and eat it soon.
Copyright (c) 1994 by Sheila Lukins
4.5 (2 votes)
Submit your rating:Click a star to rate this recipe.